This page is simply for my favorite recipes--one's I've tried and trust, and adore. I'm happy to share and add new ones too, just know that I plan to use this as my virtual recipe file, so they're all in one place . . . eventually! : )

Thursday, February 18, 2010

Favorite Chicken Soup

Well, to be honest, this is my second-favorite chicken soup recipe.  The first goes something like this:  put a rotisserie chicken in the crock pot and cover with water.  Let it sit on low for a long time, then pull it out and shred the chicken.  Add salt, seasonings, sliced carrots, and noodles to the broth with the shredded chicken.  (if you're using the thick, homemade noodles.  If you're using regular ones, whatever the shape or size, wait until just before the celery so they don't overcook.)  Cook until the carrots are soft (this totally depends on your cooker and the heat), add the celery and in about 1/2 to one hour, serve and enjoy!

My second-favorite is a chicken and wild rice crock pot from "101 Things To Do With A Slow Cooker".  Here you go:

1 can cream of chicken soup
2 c cooked chicken (or if you're in a hurry, 2 cans cooked chicken)
1 c carrots, shredded or sliced
1 c celery, sliced or diced
2 pkgs long grain and wild rice mix, with seasoning packets (i.e. Rice-A-Roni)
5 c chicken broth
5 c water

Now honestly, that seems like a lot of liquid to me, so I'm not sure I've ever used all 10 cups.  I just fill up the crock pot to about 2/3 - 3/4 full, and figure if it's thick I'll add more later.  You do need quite a bit for the rice to soak up and still be a soup, but I figure you can adjust that to taste.

Serve with warm bread and whatever comfort happiness you like best.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment